Saturday, February 27, 2010

If you touch me you'll understand what happiness is

*The original publishing of this Blog was on May 2, 2009

This video has me crying like a baby right now. Now let me explain why this song is so emotionally charged for me. When I was just a little girl, there was a woman in my life whom I called, "grandma chiquita." She was sweet, loving and caring towards my mom and her children. I don't recall if she met all three of us, but I do know she died when I was a young child. This song was her favorite and she played it a lot, besides that she sang it often and so did my mother.

When I was in high school, I joined girls choir and then moved onto Varsity Choir, we were The Cavaliers. This was the sole reason I cared about school and the main driving force behind going daily and never being absent if I didn't absolutely need to be. (My nerd days didn't come till college, but looking over that last sentence one might argue, lol I admit it...) This song was one of Ms. Weaver's selections for our group. I don't think we ever sang it for concert; she had this way of teaching us feel good songs that we would sing often to charge us up. Songs like Memory, The Body Electric and Bohemian Rhapsody were our emotionally charged staples. Today I was watching a Susan Boyle video and decided to YouTube my old friend Memory. It's been years since I've heard these lyrics.

Today, I'm shocked at how fitting they are in my life. I'm almost 33 and I have been battling with the idea that things are nothing like they used to be. It was an eye opener to hear these lyrics again. I understand now how far back the idea of not giving up and living in the new moment have always been a part of me .This would be a good time to share these memories and this song with my daughters.
Mrs. Davis, if you’re reading this, you will always hold a place in my heart. You taught me more than you'll ever know. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive