Saturday, February 27, 2010

Always begin with the end in mind

*The original publishing of this blog was on February 14, 2009

And in closing, I'd like to extend a heartfelt invitation to anyone out on the World Wide Web to feel free and comment and critique this blog at any time.
Now, the true beginning. I've blogged before; in a trainer blog...you know the type connected to a MySpace page. I'm the type to go read what my friends have to say, but not so much the type who writes anything so crazy or funny or interesting that people are flocking...

That's what I want to change. The end for me personally is still unknown, but the vision is that eventually I will actually have an audience, because I love writing and feel I have something to contribute.

Who am I? Well to help you understand, my name is Valarie and I'm a thirty something year old woman who was born and raised in Texas. I've got a mixture of heritage and ethnicity so please don’t put me in your box. I earn my money by teaching young adult minds in a public forum of education in the heart of this large metropolis I call home.

My journey has been so worthwhile.

I was born to a great set of people who still love each other, or at least I assume they do because they are still legally bound. I witnessed them renew their vows at the 25 year mark and it was a beautiful thing. Marriage is becoming extinct, at least the kinds that last forever. I thought so when I was a kid and one of the only one's in school whose parents were actually married, but this epidemic has gotten so much worse.

I suffered through some dysfunction as a child, and came out OK. I have my wonderful grandmother to thank for that, she was always there to pray very heavily over me. Not sure if she did it for my siblings too but there were plenty of nights I buried my face in her lap to try to forget all the madness around me.
My high school years were average; I was in a few organizations and teams but didn't really like high school so my focus was on my job at the theater....the dollar theater that is.

When I graduated, I distinctly remember shaking Mrs. Mathew's hand and nodding to the question of, "Are you going to go to college?" I really don't know why I nodded yes, it wasn't like I'd even so much as applied...Truth be known I didn't even know of where there was a college in that city. A truly sheltered life I lived. I did it though, despite the lack of knowledge and support, I eventually did figure it out.
I'm a college graduate now, and the road to that accomplishment was long, winding and not typical at all.

At 20 I married, by 31 I was divorced. I'm the mother of two daughters who I cherish more than anyone or anything else in this world.

Enough about my intimate details, hang on for the long and bumpy ride I'm about to take you on....Oh, and just so you know, I always go the long way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive